Americans today are keeping their natural teeth longer than any previous generation. A lot of that stems from folks realizing the importance of good oral health. No longer do patients only come to the dentist when they have a major toothache. New research suggests that the health of your mouth mirrors that of the rest of your body. For example, poor oral health has been linked to serious conditions such as stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, and others. In this blog post, we will further explain the significance of taking care of those pearly whites.
Consequences of Poor Oral Health
In addition to the conditions aforementioned above, poor oral hygiene can lead to other issues, including:
- Oral and facial pain – The Office of the Surgeon General explains that this pain may be due to infection of the gums that support the teeth and can lead to tooth loss. Then there’s gum disease. Gingivitis, as it may be referred as by your dentist, affects more than 75 percent of the U.S. population.
- Problems with the heart and other major organs – Believe it or not, mouth infections can affect major organs. That’s why it’s a good idea to start getting into better dental habits.
- Digestion problems – Remember that digestion begins with chemical and physical processes in the mouth. Problems here may result in intestinal failure, irritable bowel syndrome, and other digestive disorders.
How Our Dentist in Mesquite Can Help
The staff at Mesquite Dental believes that education and preventive dental care are critical to optimal oral health. We believe that by proactively treating problems in the early stage, we can reduce any major dental work that would be otherwise necessary for the future. So what makes Dr. George the best dentist in the area? For one, he caters to patients of all ages. Dr. George is a family dentist because he provides friendly, experienced care to toddlers and grandparents to ages in between! Here are just some of the services we provide:
- Checkups and cleanings – Those six-month cleanings can go a long way in maintaining good oral health. When Dr. George and our hygienists professionally clean your teeth, you will be left with a beautiful mouth that’s protected against cavities.
- Periodontal therapy – In its infancy, gum disease can be treated pretty easily. However, it’s never fun when periodontitis reaches the later stages. At Mesquite Dental, we can assess the health of your gums and provide periodontal therapy in spots where you have gum disease.
- Extractions – A tooth that needs to be removed can cause major damage to one’s oral health. It could be wisdom teeth or just one tooth that’s been giving you fits. In either case, our emergency dentist can help make the process as easy as possible.
- Children’s dentistry – It’s imperative to teach children good dental habits at a young age. You can feel comfortable knowing that Dr. George can provide your children with safe, effective, and friendly dental care.
For more information on how to maintain good oral health or to schedule your appointment, call Mesquite Dental today.