Dentures often provide a vast life improvement for those who wear them. They allow someone who has lost their natural teeth the ability to eat food easily again, smile confidently, and enjoy a higher quality of life. Once you invest in dentures, it is important to take good care of those dentures. Read on to learn tips about properly caring for your dentures including where to store them at night for safekeeping and why it is important to not sleep with dentures in your mouth. If you are interested in dentures in Mesquite, please stop by our office to learn more. We can schedule an appointment for you to determine if dentures would be a good fit for your needs.
Night Time Care
Although you may find your dentures comfortable enough to wear all day and all night, it is important to remove your dentures when you go to bed. Removing your dentures at night allows a break for your gums which bear the brunt of the pressure from your dentures. It is also important to remove your dentures at night because the underside of your dentures where they meet the gums can quickly become home to a host of unwanted oral guests like bacteria and fungi.
To care for your dentures and mouth at night, follow these tips:
- Take out your dentures and rinse them.
- Brush your dentures using a toothbrush designed for dentures with soft bristles. You can use a variety of cleansers including liquid soap or denture cleaner. Do not use normal toothpaste as it is abrasive and could damage your dentures. Simply putting your dentures into an overnight cleaner without brushing them will not remove plaque as well as taking the time to clean them by hand.
- Place your dentures overnight into a container with water or a solution created for dentures. Keep this container out of the reach of children and pets.
- Gently clean your mouth, taking time to brush your gums with an extra soft toothbrush or washcloth.
Remember, even though your dentures have taken the place of your teeth, you need to still keep your mouth clean and care for your gums each day. Continue to brush morning and night, just as you normally would.
Keeping Your Dentures Like New
When you are caring for your dentures keep the following tips in mind:
- Always lay down a towel or other soft material when working with your dentures so if you do drop them, they are less likely to be damaged.
- Never leave your dentures laying out. Store them in water or denture solution, otherwise the acrylic will dry out and become damaged.
- Schedule frequent checkups with your dentist to ensure the fit remains correct and your gums are healthy.
If you are interested in dentures in Mesquite, please contact our team. We can assist you in finding the perfect dentures for your needs and we can help you take care of those dentures properly. Feel free to reach out today to schedule an appointment with our professional, friendly staff. We look forward to helping you regain a confident smile and enjoy the life you want.